Saturday, April 17, 2010

Group Projects

I thought that the group projects on Friday were really well-done and entertaining. I don't know where, but I remember reading about how Pocahantas and Avatar basically have the same plot with different characters, setting,etc. Nevertheless, it was really interesting to see how closely the stories were intertwined and how you could make a trailer using the voice from Avatar and the pictures from Pocahantas and someone who hadn't seen either movie wouldn't know the difference. After learning about how every story is a re-telling of another, you could probably do that same thing with many movies. On Youtube, I've also seen how people put up pictures and scenes from a movie and play a song in the background and both stories fit perfectly together.

Also, the pyramid game was a great way to review for this class. I knew every word or phrase except for the last one, Anamnesis. I'm still not exactly sure what it means.........

The second group did really well too. Their skit incorporated so many different themes and stories from this semester. I found myself constantly picking up on what stories were involved while they performed the skit. I think if you write any kind of story, there will be themes and plotlines and archetypes from other stories even if that was not your intention. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to write a story that's completely original and unique. Other stories will always find a way to fit in. Also, every person has their own interpretation of which stories are involved within another, and everyone's interpretation is unique. Maybe someone can relate a story to what has happened in their life, maybe to a movie they've seen or book they've read. It is certain that the author didn't mean to involve all of these connections in their tale, but it just happens. I think Garrett mentioned something about how the Lord of the Rings could fit in perfectly with group 2's story, and it certainly can. I don't think group two specifically meant to do this, but that is the beauty of re-tellings.

No comments:

Post a Comment