Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Brothers Karamazov

Reading the Brothers Karamazov has been quite and experience. Like most of the people in the class, I have never read a book this long. I think the closest I have been to reading a book this long is the last Harry Potter book. Still, there is not comparison between the two. Harry Potter was an entertaining and easy read. I read it non-stop for about four days, barely able to put it down. The Brothers Karamazov was...different. I can't even remember how long I've been reading it, but it's certainly been longer than four days. Like most people, I had trouble with concentrating on the book as a whole for so long and remembering all the parts when I started reading the book again. What I found was that every time I picked up the book, I found myself understanding the small, sub-stories that the author wrote about, but had a difficult time connecting how the specific thing I was reading applied to the story as a whole. So, sometimes it felt as if I was reading individual stories instead of a complete book, but I guess that is why it is so hard to read a book of this size. In fact, when I first heard we were going to read the Brothers Karamazov and saw it at Barnes and Noble, I thought for sure that there was no way out teacher would make us read the entire book. However, reading it really does give you a strong feeling of accomplishment, for doing something that not many people my age have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment