Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sonnet

I googled the term sonnet and this is what I found on Wikipedia:

"The sonnet is one of the poetic forms that can be found in lyric poetry from Europe. The term "sonnet" derives from the Occitan word sonet and the Italian word sonetto, both meaning "little song" or "little sound". By the thirteenth century, it had come to signify a poem of fourteen lines that follows a strict rhyme scheme and specific structure. The conventions associated with the sonnet have evolved over its history. The writers of sonnets are sometimes referred to as "sonneteers," although the term can be used derisively. One of the best-known sonnet writers is William Shakespeare, who wrote 154 of them (not including those that appear in his plays). A Shakespearean, or English, sonnet consists of 14 lines, each line containing ten syllables and written in iambic pentameter, in which a pattern of an unemphasized syllable followed by an emphasized syllable is repeated five times. The rhyme scheme in a Shakespearean sonnet is a-b-a-b, c-d-c-d, e-f-e-f, g-g; the last two lines are a rhyming couplet."

Whenever I think of sonnets, Shakespeare is the first person to come to mind. For this class, we have to write a sonnet and send it to the object of our affection, which I think sounds like alot of fun! I'll have to look through some examples of sonnets and get working on writing my own soon :)

1 comment:

  1. This is good, I like all the links to definitions. Personally I think grasping the idea of the sonnet is confusing. Even though I consider myself I writer, it is something too abstract for me. Maybe I am thinking about it all wrong. It just brings me back to high school and Freshman English class. I never truly grasped the concept. I think I butcher most the poetical forms in most of my poems. :) But Iambic Pentameter is one of those things I never understood. But thanks for the links and references. I know I have not read many blogs... there really is too much to read.

    ReplyDelete