Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Happily Never After



On the topic of the tragic sense of life, I see a comparison from what we learned earlier in the year. When we were talking about the idea of "happily ever after" we concluded that this really isn't how the story ends. In fact, the real ending is much more dismal......we all die. All life ends in an undeniable, inescabable death. Depressing, isn't it? So if our lives end in death, what is the point of living? In class, professor Sexson mentioned the example of fruit flies, who only live for 24 hours. If I only had 24 hours left to live, I don't know what I would do. Surely, I'd speed up the pace and make sure I did as many worthwhile things as possible. Mainly, I think I'd spend time with the people I love and make sure that they know how much they mean to me. I might take a few chances, take greater risks, follow all of my instincts and not hold anything back. Overall, I would "seize the day". Even though it never really happens and we take the value of a day for granted, I believe we should live each day as if it were our last and make every day memorable somehow.


Something else I've noticed in my life is how many "almosts" we experience in our lifetime- things that if they would've happened, would have been life-changing and devastating. I've had my fair share of almosts. I'm sure I've forgotten alot of them because since they didn't turn into something big, they lost their importance. Surely, they pale in comparison to others, but I have experienced them. My dad "almost" died from thyroid disease at age 40, I "almost" jumped from a 30 foot bridge and landed on a jet ski (luckily I missed by a couple of feet at most), my uncle was "almost" paralyzed, and many more. I can't help but think how drastically my life would be different if these "almosts" had come true, and at the same time I'm extremely thankful for escaping the tragic "what might have beens".

No comments:

Post a Comment